Database Engineer (Software Engineer II, Database)
Remote: Seattle, WA
Type of Job
About the job
Primary Duties & Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
1. Work effectively with team and product owners to define & clarify requirements, perform detailed analysis, and develop robust & maintainable solutions meeting business requirements
2. Analyze, plan, develop, deploy, and manage a large scalable distributed relational database system.
3. Create Azure data pipeline for data processing including normalization and transformation.
4. Create automation SQL tests for unit, integration, regression, performance, and build verification
5. Build and support Microservice and Stateless architecture
6. Understand and apply the advanced principles of entity-relationship model design, good data typing practices, index management, data management, and data security.
7. Write a reliable and maintainable code at each layer of the product development.
8. Research and prototype new product & database features, design, and architecture ahead of mainstream development.
9. Proactively initiate & contribute to system improvements and innovations.
10.Provide support to troubleshoot and resolve technical & performance issues in a production environment.
11.Review designs, code, and test plans of other developers and provide recommendations for improvement or optimizations
12. Follow defined software development lifecycle best practices.
13.Work effectively with management and members to clarify needs and priorities.
· Batchelor’s degree in Computer Science, Engineering, or equivalent work experience.
· 8+ years of SQL Server database development experience including SSIS, and SSRS
· 2+ years of experience in developing a relational & non-relational data platform/data pipeline using Azure cloud solutions
· 2+ years of experience in designing, building, and supporting Azure data pipelines & messaging services
Skills, Abilities, Experience
· Expert-level knowledge of SQL, TSQL, performance tuning, Query Plans, and Query Plan optimization for TSQL.
· Expert level development knowledge in SQL Server 2008-2016 including all latest features introduced in SQL Server 2014 & 2016
· Advance-level knowledge of developing complex Data Warehouses
· Advance-level knowledge of CI/CD using Azure DevOps to support Data Platform & Microservice projects
· Intermediate-level knowledge of developing solutions using C#, and REST API.
· Demonstrated experience in working with at least one scripting language such as PowerShell, Perl, Python, Ruby, etc. with the intent to automate manual tasks (monitoring, deployments, testing, etc.)
· Strong technical and communication skills.
· Desire and ability to work as part of a team with minimal supervision in a results-oriented, fast-paced, dynamic environment.
· Experience in managing and developing SQL Server, BI Suite, database custom tools using SQL Server Data Tools/Visual Studio 2015-2019 IDE’s.
· Advance-level experience in Azure DevOps/GIT repository.
o Development experience of Snowflake Data cloud
o Database architecture and designing experience.
o Travel industry experience; or Ecommerce experience with CRM or online sales.
o PowerShell scripting knowledge.
o Advance level knowledge in automation test creation.
o Experience/Knowledge integrating new technologies (e.g., Hadoop) with traditional RDBMS
o Experience/Knowledge in the Hadoop ecosystem: Spark, Kafka, Hive, HiveQL, Map Reduce, Yarn, HDFS, etc...
· Travel is rarely required for this position. (0-1 trips per year)
· Any travel will be entirely domestic.
Type & Nature of Contacts
· Internal: Key job contacts are primarily with clerical and technical personnel outside of the job’s immediate work unit/department.
· External: There is almost no contact outside of Virtuoso staff. Position is primarily internal facing.